Saturday 30 November 2013

Same Trailer Different Park

You might remember that I mentioned Kacey Musgraves in one of my first posts and now I'm finally getting around to writing about her music. I first came across her at a Lady Antebellum concert where she was the support act and I remember that her genuine sounding country songs really made her stand out.
She is very 'country' and even her outfit screamed 'country'. She really does fit the genre in that her some of her songs are about trying to escape the oppressive, dull and dreary small town life that was ahead of her. But like any other artist, she also does songs about love (because let's face it, it would be kind of hard not to).
The first time that I played her cd was a bit of a strange one. It was about 6 months ago and I'd just got back from hanging out with H and because I was in such a good mood, the first time I played Kacey's cd, I was a bit like god this is depressing. But then I listened to it again - I really listened to it and fell in love with it. It is a great cd, and really opens your eyes to proper country music. It even gives you an insight into the small Southern American town lifestyle, which is one of the most interesting things about her music.
If you want to check out some of her music, I'll give you a lowdown of a few of my favourites from her debut (and only full length) album, Same Trailer Different Park.

Follow Your Arrow: my FAVOURITE song on the album and probably of all time. It's about not caring what anybody thinks because all that matters is that you do what makes you happy because there will always be haters. Haters be haters. My life motto in a song.
My House: such an upbeat song that will have you singing along after a few listens and the line 'Anywhere beside you is the place that I'll call home' just sticks.
Blowin' Smoke: the title on this track can be a bit deceiving, but it's actually about the little diner that she used to work in and everybody else's stories that were brave enough to escape for a better life. This is the song that I remember most from her performance at Lady Antebellum and easily my second favourite on the album. So catchy.
Silver Lining: the opener on the album and an honest account about seeing the silver lining in a bad day.
Stupid: A song about how love just ends up making you feel stupid after every heartbreak - see, that's proper country right there.

Honestly, if you haven't heard any of her songs, GO AND LISTEN. She is amazing (and annoyingly pretty too). And I want a nose ring.





 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment