Thursday 6 March 2014

#WeAreWinter

I hope you all enjoyed the winter Olympics and that even if it's not your normal thing, that you watched it anyway because you only get that kind of winter action every 4 years!

Snowboarding is my thing and I was so excited about slopestyle being the new event of the games because I love the freedom and creativity of it - it's so awesome that it should come with its own soundtrack. I was supporting Jenny Jones (AKA 'The Jones') and Aimee Fuller and I thought that they both had a good chance of a podium, especially The Jones, I mean she's had 20 years of experience in slopestyle so to reckon that she has no chance would have been ridiculous. Most people that I spoke to about it didn't have Jenny figured on their radars, but I smugly knew that she would pull through. Oh yeah, my friend knows her. How awesome is that? So you can only imagine my excitement when she got a bronze - cue crazy fist pumping. Afterall, she's worked hard enough for it over the years and it would probably be her last chance to qualify for the Olympics considering that she's in her 30's, so she's practically ancient compared to all the 18 year olds out there. Sorry Jenny.
I was surprised about Aimee Fuller though. She's always been at the forefront of slopestyle too, so to see her crash out on her last run was reaaaaaaaaally disappointing.
Sarka Pancochova, a Czech rider, also had the gnarliest crash and split her helmet in TWO. I was cringing the whole time because she just bounced all the way down like a rag doll and was lucky not to have broken her neck, but then she just casually got up and finished the run. As you do. So always wear a lid kids!

The ice hockey was also something that I was really into. I've always wanted to try it and watching it just made me want to try it LIKE CRAZY. I'm not Canadian, but I have to say, I was backing Canada all the way. Their motto was for the games (and especially the hockey) was #WeAreWinter and it really caught on with everybody. The USA/Canada match was so tense it was unreal. I was going out that night and was watching it right until the last minute and left myself the shortest amount of time possible to get ready because it was SUCH A GOOD MATCH! I felt like an honorary Canadian for a couple of hours and I'm sure that if they knew that, they'd be so stoked about it and let me move there no questions asked. You can thank me later Canada.

The winter Paralympics start tomorrow, so I hope that's on your watch list too. Enjoy!


 
This also unfortunately happened to Anna Gasser during one of her runs and it's such an awkward/embarrassing/ funny moment. Shame on you if you missed it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment